Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Trisha Yearwood's Squash Casserole

This was in the Guide Daily Section this morning... so of course I had to make it. I think after tasting I would have added a Tablespoon or so of sugar.  But overall yumm. We will see what the Man of the Place thinks... he doesn't like squash but so far this summer has eaten the fried squash and onions I have made. You don't think he is just being polite do YOU?


Trisha Yearwood's Squash Casserole
Dallas Morning News 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 2-qt casserole dish. 

2 lbs yellow summer squash, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick 
1/2 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia, peeled and diced
1 t. salt (divided use)
1 large egg
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces) 
1/4 t. black pepper
1/2 cup crushed butter crackers, such as Ritz (about 12 crackers)

Place the sliced squash and the onion in a medium saucepan with about a cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.  Cover and cook over medium heat until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes.  Drain thoroughly and cool.

Put the squash in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer; the mixture should remain kinda chunky.  Add the egg, mayonnaise, cheese, remaining 1/2 t. of salt and the pepper and mix until combined.  Pour the squash mixture into the prepared dish, top witht the crumbs and bake for 30 minutes.

It says makes 12 servings.. uhh not if you love squash as much as I DO!!
ok here are the changes I made... I didn't preheat oven until after the squash was cooked.. this is summer in TEXAS.. ovens must not stay on that long... I mixed it in the saucepan, why mess up another bowl to wash... then I added the cheese and mixed to cool if off and then the mayo.. and beat the egg first and then added it... I am impatient and didn't want to wait for it to cool.. It still turned out... Like I said next time I will probably add a T or so of sugar. 

Enjoy

0 comments: