Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hobos and a Scarf

I posted this yesterday and then it disappeared into the internets lost and never to be found... so let's try again.

I haven't felt so well this  weekend and just wasn't feeling up to cooking yesterday and made the easiest meal I could think of... well, except for picking up the phone and ordering something to be delivered.  Most who know this meal will associate it with camping, but Mama always made it in the oven and called it Hobo dinner.   You can put any veggies in it, but depending on what you put in it, whether it is  basic Hobo Dinner or High Falooting Hobo Dinner.  Mama says if you add mushrooms then it is High Fallooting.

In the FAMOUS Hart Cookbook there is a recipe for it called Child's Supper.  That is the the one I am going to post here, but I will put what I do differently, but only if I happen to have the ingredients.  

 Child's Supper
Rose Ellen (Copeland) Gregg

   It was the duty of our children to cook a meal once in a while.  Any 6 or 8 year old can fix this.
   Peel a potato and cut in small squares; 1 carrot cut in small squares, 1 small onion (chopped), salt and pepper.  Take a 12 to 18-inch (piece of) foil, place all ingredients in center of foil.  Add 1/4 pound of hamburger meat; wrap airtight.  Bake in oven approximately 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  This  can be eaten  from foil with fork.




I season the hamburger with the trinity uhh I mean salt, pepper and garlic, and lay onion slices on the hamburger and sometimes bell pepper. Yesterday I had bell pepper and I chopped the onion and mixed them in the hamburger.  I was thinking you could add some tomato sauce or tomato paste.  I also add soy sauce and/or worchestershire sauce.  I also use baby carrots, cause I dislike peeling things, I do usually peel the potatoes. If I have red potatoes I don't.

Ok on to the scarf. It was 76 degrees here yesterday, but you know this is Texas  and I might need a knitted item at any MOMENT.



I tried to get a good picture of this but couldn't get the color right. It is a deep ruby red and fuzzy and soft and yummy... and the temp is suppose to be 20 degrees cooler this week.  This is might even be too warm for 56 degrees. 




0 comments: