|Velma Jane Maddox Hart|
The Original Hart Girl :)
1. Always in an apron, if she took off her apron, we were going somewhere.
2. Juicy Fruit gum in her purse. Still the smell of Juicy Fruit reminds me of Nannie. (Not that I have a pack in my kitchen cabinet to sniff once in a while.)
3. Tomatoes on newspapers in the spare bedroom, on the floor, dressser, windowsills.
4. Shelling peas in aforementioned apron.
5. Snuff glasses.
6. Hanging laundry out on the line.
7. Nannie's hands.. I always thought she held them so elegantly, slightly curved in and I tried to imitate holding mine like that. Later I learned it was arthritis.
8. Her stockings, rolled down below her hemline.
9. Coming out to the car to say good-bye when we were leaving, always with something in her hand to give to you. You never left Nannie's house empty handed.
10. The GIGANTIC Lord's Supper picture above her dining room table, that shrank the older I got (the little one hangs in my dining room today).
11. Oatmeal cooked in milk.. yummy...
12. Strawberry cake. (I will post the recipe soon.. YUMMO)
13. Making bisquits, on the tupperware mat with circles, and cutting them out with the tin can my Daddy had fixed for her. She always said it was the best biscuit cutter she ever had. ( I bought me a tupperware mat at an antique booth a few years ago, my biscuits still don't taste like Nannie's.. maybe I need a fany biscuit cutter.)
14. Making the bed, step by step, First beat the dirt off the sheets, pull up sheets until EVERY wrinkle was out of them, then cover with chenille bedspred and the proper way to cover the pillows with the bedspread just so.
15. Sunday dinner, full of veggies, and cornbread... I think fried chicken or some other meat, but oh the veggies, whatever was in season!!!
I love you Velma Jane Maddox Hart, and thank you for your gentleness, your love and your forever support. You and Papa are the foundation of our great and loving family.
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Posted by Bobbie Lynn at 4:33 PM