Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pork Chops Southern Style


In world far away, years and years ago I worked for a special lady who had 

Multiple Sclerosis, she had been a home economics teacher and had a local cooking show. Nancy taught me to make this recipe for her and her family, because she was unable to cook at the time and I have loved, loved, loved it.  Everyone I make it for love it also.   She just simple called it Pork Chops Southern style.  The recipe is for 6 pork chops, notice  in the pictures I only did 4.  Have I mentioned I am still learning this empty nest thing???  I just adjusted the recipe, this isn't a rocket science recipe, things can be adjusted and added or taken away from.  I have made it with chicken stock, left out the soy sauce,  don't be afraid, just keep the rice and stock ratios in sync and all will be fabulous.. trust me!! 



With salt, pepper and garlic powder season pork chops evenly on both sides Melt butter with oil in large heavy skillet, brown chops on both sides.

Transfer chops to large roasting pan.

Slice onions, , tomato and pepper. 
(notice my broken Pampered Chef mini spatula in the background... I CRIED!!! I loved that spatula and had it for over 10 years...::sigh::)

Pour rice evenly over the pork chops .

Place one pepper slice, one onion slice and one tomato slice on each pork chop.

Disolve the bouillon cubes in boiling water, (I do this in the microwave), and stir in Worcestershire and Soy Sauce.
  ( I was out of Soy Sauce, thank goodness I save all those little packets from Chinese take out.)

Pour bouillon(stock) mixture evenly over the whole dish.

Cover with foil.. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  


Serve HOT.

Pork Chops Southern Style

Lemon – pepper  to taste
Salt to taste
Garlic powder to taste
6 (1 inch thick) center - cut pork chops
2 tbsp. butter + 1 tbsp. of oil
3 3/4 c. boiling water
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. soy sauce (opt.)
1 1/2 c. uncooked rice
12 (1/2 inch thick) slices onion
6 (1/2 inch thick) slices tomato
6 (1/2 inch thick) slices green peppers


With salt, pepper and garlic powder season pork chops evenly on both sides Melt butter with oil in large heavy skillet, brown chops on both sides.


Transfer chops to large roasting pan.


Dissolve the bouillon cubes in boiling water, (I do this in the microwave), and stir in Worcestershire and Soy sauce.   


Place 1 slice onion, 1 slice tomato, 1 slice pepper on each pork chop.     


Pour bouillon(stock) mixture evenly over the whole dish.


Cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serve hot.
Yields 6 servings.


And on another happy note... duct tape fixes everything... until I can get to Lynette's and pick up my new one :)

0 comments: