Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Meatless Monday Black Beans and Rice

(Not sure why this didn't post yesterday as scheduled.. but just like me.. Meatless Monday is running late...) 

Okay here is the problem I have lately.  I throw food away CONSTANTLY.  When I was growing up I learned to cook for 6 people. Two brothers who could consume as much as you could cook. (I wasn't too shabby myself at eating.)  

Then I got married and improved my cooking skills while raising three boys of my own and a girl.  I called my boys the garbage disposals.  Do you know how much 3 teenage boys can eat.  I  never had to worry about leftovers. Until....::play the dum da dum dum tune here::  They all GREW UP and left... now I just don't know how to cook just a tad. If I make a casserole I end up with two huge ONES. I haven't been able to make a small pot of soup, or a small salad.  

I think empty nesters need to unite and buy fresh vegetables. I just need two green onions, not a whole bunch, spinach by the bulk, not a whole bag or bunch!!!   

With that being said... for this first Meatless Monday, I am making my first attempt at cutting a recipe down.  For these Black Beans and Rice I went to The Food Network's website and found 
Ingrid Hoffman's Black Beans and Rice.  Now if you still have a big family and all your kids home  this makes 16 servings. Do you know how long it would take for me to eat 16 SERVINGS? I cut this by 1/4  and when I make it again, I will cut the Apple cider vinegar back as reflected in the following recipe.  It was a bit overpowering in the dish.

I also topped with with fresh chopped green onions and tomatoes.. yanno trying to use up those empty nester's vegetables. :)

Empty Nester's Black Beans and Rice  

4 T. Olive Oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
4 t. cumin
1/2 c. rice3
1 c. black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 can diced tomatoes, with green chilies(I didn't drain)
1/2 c. water 
2T. apple cider vinegar

Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Stir in the onions, peppers, garlic, bay leaves and cumin. Stir and cook for 8 minutes.Stir in the rice, black beans, tomatoes, water, vinegar and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 40 minutes or until the rice is tender. Serve hot.

The best part... 
Leftovers were just two small dishes, all packed and ready for lunches for the week.  Did I mention I have to go back to work, after two weeks off... I am going to need grab and go lunches!!!!

Hope you ENJOY!!!

0 comments: